Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Words of The Wise

“I was told
, the average girl begins to plan her wedding at the age of 7
.
She picks the colors and the cake first
.
By the age of 10 
She knows time & location.

By 17
 she’s already chosen a gown
, 2 bridesmaids
 & a maid of honor.

By 23 
she’s waiting for a man who won't break out in hives when he hears the word “commitment”
.
Someone who doesn’t smell like a Band-Aid drenched in lonely.
Someone who isn’t a temporary solution to the empty side of the bed
. 
Someone
 who’ll hold her hand like it’s the only one they’ve ever seen
......


To be honest 
I don’t know what kind of tux I’ll be wearing.

I have no clue what want my wedding will look like.

But, I imagine
 the women who pins my last to hers
 will butterfly down the aisle
like a 5 foot promise
I imagine
.
Her smile
 will be so large that you’ll see it on google maps
 & know exactly where our wedding is being held.

The woman that I plan to marry
 will have champagne in her walk
 & I will get drunk on her footsteps
.
When the pastor asks 
if I take this woman to be my wife, 
I will say yes before he finishes the sentence
.
I’ll apologize later for being impolite
, but I will also explain him
 that our first kiss happened 6 years ago
.
& I’ve been practicing my “Yes”
 for past 2,165 days.

When people ask me about my wedding, 
I never really know what to say
.
But when they ask me about my future wife
I always tell them, 
her eyes are the only Christmas lights that deserve to be seen all year long.

I say
, she thinks too much.

Misses her father.

Loves to laugh
.
& she’s terrible at lying
, because her face never figured out how to do it correctly
.
I tell them
 if my alarm clock sounded like her voice
, my snooze button would collect dust 
I tell them.

If she came in a bottle, 
I would drink her until my vision is blurry & my friends take away my keys.

If she was a book
, I would memorize her table of contents.

I would read her cover-to-cover
, hoping to find typos
.
Just so we can both have a few things to work on
, because aren’t we all unfinished?

Don’t we all need a little editing?

Aren’t we all waiting to be proofread by someone?

Aren’t we all praying they will tell us that we make sense.
She don’t always make sense
, but her imperfections are the things I love about her the most
.
I don’t know when I will be married.

I don’t know where I will be married.

But I do know this, 
whenever I’m asked about my future wife
.
I always say
…She’s a lot like you”

No comments: